Sunday 16 March 2008

New-ness

Ah, a nice clean new blog. I wrote one in 2006 for a term because it was part of my Computing for Anthropologists module, but then once it was over, I sort of drifted from it and stopped updating it, and now it has vanished into the ether because I haven't updated it in so long. So here it is, a new one.


I do like new-ness. The term 'turning over a new leaf' is such a luxurious one in my mind; it conjures up images of fresh green leaves bejewelled with droplets from a recent storm...saturated with moisture and life and possibility. Anything could happen to that leaf; it could be eaten by a caterpillar, picked and made into a skeleton by a small child (other people did that, right?), remain on the tree until Autumn and phase through a plethora of rich vibrant colours, from yellow to orange to red and finally to a deep brown when it will be plucked by the wind and drawn away into a tangle of air and sky and other leaves, and will come to rest somewhere...anywhere.


Perhaps I'm getting drawn in too deep to the metaphor. But anyway...new-ness. This blog could be anything. I could be anything. Turning over a new leaf doesn't have to start at the beginning of a calendar year, or at the end of a relationship, or after a traumatic event...it can be whenever. You just sit down (or stand up) and say "Here. Here is where it will all change." And it can. It might not, of course, but it can. And that belief that I can decide things will change, and they have the potential to change, fills me with lightness and possibility and hope and...new-ness.

I like new-ness.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued as to what the picture is you've chosen for the top..

Claire Routh said...

The title one? Where it says "Claire Routh; musings of a girl"?

It's a shot of the old lighthouse, and the nuclear power station at Dungeness, on the south Kent coast. It is absolutely beautiful there.

Anonymous said...

Yeh, that's the one. The picture is quite beatiful in a strange way.

Dungeness you say, I'm pretty close I think. Walked all the way from Margate to Ramsgate along the beach once, was fantastic til I noticed the tide was coming in!!

Claire Routh said...

Ooh, whereabouts are you? Photos here if you're interested: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=43306&l=dbedd&id=284001263

Anonymous said...

It wouldn't let me see :o(
I'm in Canterbury, at Chrirst Church. I'm guessing you must be pretty close by too.

Claire Routh said...

I'm at Kent, in Canterbury too. Grr rivalry rivalry etc!