Saturday 7 February 2009

Running

I really miss running. I haven't run for a good few months now, and sadly the weather is no excuse since I have a gym membership- though the motivation to GO to the gym in the first place is admittedly lacking.

The thing is, whenever I lapsed before, I'd just force myself to go and I'd be back into it, absolutely loving it. I had to drop out of the half marathon I'd entered for February, and since then...nothing. No motivation whatsoever. I've been out maybe once, and it was hell, and I nearly threw up, and I hated it.

I don't know how to go about falling back in love with it. I don't think they do couples counselling for sports. But I wish they did. Any ideas? I miss it so much it sometimes hurts, but I just don't know how to re-find my love for it.

:(

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you will only love it again by going out and doing it consistently and regularly. If you can't find the motivation to drag yourself out, find someone to drag you? And don't try and get as far as you used to, either, start by doing a kilometre or something, honestly, just round the block, because pushing yourself only hurts and you only love it hurting when you love the whole thing again. I have very little experience of this but it's worked for me in the past, I got back into it, anyway! And, well, good luck!

Anonymous said...

There's a difference between the gym and running outside. I hate gyms, I find them claustrophobic and static - you actually never get anywhere, literally. There's something special about running in the open air, you have time, peace of mind and space to yourself. It's funny you should write this blog - only this afternoon I went for a run after months of doing nothing and blaming the weather and lack of time.

I'll back up Jenny's comment - ease yourself in slowly, don't push yourself too hard just enjoy being back outside and having that space and time to yourself. The love for running never disappears, you've just got to encourage it to show it's face once in a while :o)

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a runner, I don't look for it in my life on the whole and I'd much rather cycle everywhere. Sadly, I need to get very fit very soon so running is the option of choice.

Don't ignore the lack of motivation, just get ready for a run while still feeling unmotivated (sidestep it, if you will). Find a willing housemate who will drag you out. Make sure you're on the pavement before you've really thought about it, because if you think about it you won't do it.

Not much experience this end, but that's how I get myself to do anything I don't really fancy doing...

Anonymous said...

you need to blog more, my dear. I miss your blog! xxx

Claire said...

My life is so boring though, I have nothing to write about!