Friday 26 March 2010

Mephedrone

[Old person rant]

Mephedrone is all over the news at the moment, because some people have died as a result of taking it as a recreational drug. A quick Google will provide you with all the heart-rending interviews with distraught parents that you could ever need on the subject.

The whole thing is driving me up the bloody wall. There's all these young people saying "it should be made illegal...it's legal so obviously you think it's safe to take". It's legal as a PLANT FERTILISER! You don't walk into Tesco, buy a bottle of bleach, drink it and then wonder why you're rather ill and complain that it's legal so you thought it was okay to drink.

This bloody nanny state (apologies for such a Tory catchphrase) is ridiculous! Why on earth should we waste money passing a law to classify a plant fertiliser as a class B drug? Are people that lacking in common sense that they think it's sensible to consume toxic chemicals? Obviously the answer is yes, otherwise it wouldn't be all over the news. I've just come to the point where I feel people should take a little more responsibility for their actions and stop blaming someone else.

[/Old person rant]


I realise I only blog these days to whinge about something-or-other, sorry! I am here and I am still reading :) - in a non-creepy way!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

The thing is most of those kids, if they could get hold of it, would still take it even if it wasn't legal, if it didn't cost too much. They're only whinging about the legality/safety thing because they've seen someone die or heard about it or been caught taking it and realised perhaps it isn't so much of a bundle of laughs as they thought it was and they're scared so of course they're going to try and place the blame somewhere else, we all do it.

I don't know whether making it illegal is really the answer - after all, like this, at least you know what you're getting in terms of amounts and you know it's not cut with rat poison/angel delight/dog hair/whatever (witters wildly). I read a commentary about it in The Times (don't shoot me, I hate Murdoch too, I didn't hand over the money for The Times, so...), where she points all this out, that and the dangers of street dealers 'cross-selling' and so on and so forth. And makes the point that it may be legal as a plant fertiliser but is not legal for human consumption, which is interesting because surely it's pretty much unregulateable?

Either way, I'm glad I'm not a stupid adolescent any more. It's that whole thing of taking risks and doing utterly stupid things because they're utterly stupid things to do and you just want to see how far you can push it.

OK, now I'm wittering. My friends were at a New Years party last year where another friend of mine, about my age, pushed meph on a fourteen-year-old girl. Seriously. Meanwhile I think I was playing Articulate at the other end of the county...!

Jenny said...

PS Good to have you back. Post more often! And I am back for Easter now if you're still up for that coffee? xxx

James Ligen said...

Love not only the article, but the blog (especially the subtitle :)) as well! Excellent work and keep on writing. Hope I can get somewhere as far as you have.

-Jligen

AnnieMouse said...

I love your thoughts. They're funny because they're so true and honestly with all the craziness that you hear about in the world these days, you need to be able to laugh or it'll all drive you bonkers.